Community & Civic
Dillard High School, located in Goldsboro, North Carolina, was the outgrowth of a private school founded in 1866 for Negro students. The Reverend Clarence Dillard came to Goldsboro in 1884 to serve as pastor of the Presbyterian (Shiloh) Church.
In 1894, Reverend Dillard became principal of the colored school as it was called then. The building that Reverend Dillard saw erected was named Dillard High School. The Reverend Clarence Dillard retired in 1924 and was succeeded by Mr. Hugh Victor Brown. Dillard High School was accredited by the North Carolina State Department of public instruction in 1926 and by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1937.
In 1955, Professor Brown envisioned the return home of all his children who had graduated since the year 1926, to celebrate 30 years of accreditation of their alma mater. Professor Brown used all his possible resources to begin gathering addresses of alumni who resided mostly in the Northern States. Communication was established and plans were initiated for a mammoth homecoming celebration in 1956.
In 1969, the doors of Dillard High School closed and students were transferred to Goldsboro High School. Dillard is now a middle school and house grades 7th and 8th under the leadership of Sylvester Townsend as the principal. High school students are able to apply for college scholarships through their guidance counselor.
It is the responsibility of the National Scholarship Committee to use the scholarship criteria to select recipients and award scholarships made available to the organization by indiv